This is a decision that you will need to make before making the hike. Each person has their own preference. I, for one, prefer the tent while others choose the hammock. So to help you make the decision, I have explained the pros and cons of each.
The Hammock – There are several trees down in the campgrounds and finding that perfect spot can get a little tricky, especially if you have to fight other hammock lovers for it. Hammocks are a lighter option compared to most two-man tents and easier to pack. However, when choosing your hammock, quality makes a big difference on a good night’s sleep, but don’t feel like you need a super expensive one. If you choose the hammock, be sure to bring rope to hang your pack. If not, be prepared to go hungry! The squirrels down there have adapted to the tourist climate and know how to unzip your packs. Don’t believe me? Just ask those who have been down there.
The Tent – Be selective when choosing a tent. Pay attention to the weight because you will have to pack it in. Most two men tents weigh between 5-6 pounds. Wal-Mart sells a one-person backpacking tent for $20, which weighs slightly less than 4 pounds. Another option is to split up the weight of the tent by sharing it with others. You will also want a tent that is ventilated well since it can get pretty warm at nights. As for finding that perfect spot, it can also be tricky but I have found it’s easier than finding one for a hammock.
**The other option I’ve seen people do is sleep on a tarp. Since we are going in June, the weather should be pretty dry so this could be an option. However, if you have a phobia of bugs and snakes, you might want to consider the other options I listed above. ;)
1 comment:
I've been down there 3 times before & I've been just fine sleeping on a tarp, pad, and thin summer sleeping bag. =)
Post a Comment